Friday, August 29, 2008

My First Experiences

As an out of state resident and a full time student filled with many dreams and ambitions, I find myself relating, in a way, to many individuals who are currently being provided with services from the Supported Community Living Initiative. I moved to South Carolina just over a month ago and was very confused and apprehensive yet extremely anxious about the new and exciting discoveries I was about to pursue. Once meeting everyone at the Center for Disability Resources, I then met a few of the individuals who have already moved into their own home, and I have never felt more welcome in this new environment.
Each individual choosing to become a part of the Supported Community Living Initiative has a specific goal. Their goal is to gain enough independence to live completely on their own whether it’s buying/renting a house or renting an apartment. Each person has overcome many obstacles to get where they are today and should be proud of their accomplishments. Each person has a strong heart and mind and is determined to chase what they really want in life, which is to be accepted.
As far as me relating to them, I feel as though I have finally chosen something in life that fits my personality. My dream is to do something or be a part of something tremendously rewarding. I feel very blessed to be a part of the Supported Community Living Initiative for that very reason. I already see myself as being independent but sometimes feel lost, especially living 800 miles from home. I have always wanted to move and live on my own and am beginning to feel at home in South Carolina, interning at the CDR. I am beginning to feel accepted.

No comments: