Friday, December 12, 2008

A Dream Fulfilled

Today is my last day interning for the Supported Community Living Initiative for the fall semester. For the past four months, I’ve learned an abundance of information and experienced more than I ever imagined. Meeting everyone involved in the program has given me even more motivation and encouragement to continue pursuing my own goal in becoming a social worker. Each individual involved has a dream of independence and recently I was fortunate enough to be a part of some one fulfilling that dream.
After years of living under his parents’ roof, a young man recently moved into his own home. With smiles and excitement, he and his family invited us to hold his next circle meeting at his new house. With a tremendous circle of support, this young man gained the knowledge and skills necessary to achieve his goal of independence. He now has his own game room and a big screen television to enjoy watching with his brother and has secured employment in order to earn an income to keep up with paying his own bills, in which he is thrilled to finally have!
It has been such a satisfying experience working with a group of individuals with extreme amounts of passion and devotion. It gives me an indescribable feeling seeing the joy in one’s face that has just overcame an incredible obstacle. I look forward to returning for the spring semester with the hopes of experiencing yet even more rewarding events.

No comments: